TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS AND THEIR DUTIES
TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS AND THEIR DUTIES
As in every organization, there is a specific and detailed chain of command that must be followed to achieve consistent success. Any person having a question concerning an aspect of a tournament should adhere to the chain of command listed below to obtain the answer:
- Speak to the judge.
- Ask your instructor.
- Have one’s instructor speak to the Regional Tournament Team Leader in one’s area.
- Have one’s instructor speak to the Tournament Department at Headquarters.
International Chairman of Tournaments
The International Chairman of Tournaments is the overseer of all aspects of tournaments. He/she is part of the ATA International Headquarters staff and is appointed by ATA International Headquarters. The Tournament Department is responsible for maintaining all tournament sanction paperwork, the oversight of tournament judging certification, the preparation for world and national tournaments, the arbitration of disputes, and rule revisions.
The International Chairman of Tournaments at this time is Senior Master Betsy Stevens — 7th Degree Black Belt
National Tournament Director
The National Tournament Director is appointed by the Grand Master of Songahm Taekwondo with the input of the International Chairman of Tournaments based upon their experience with the individual and any recommendations of the organization’s seniors. This person is in charge of the general operations of world and national tournaments and supplies a great deal of input on operation procedures and rule revisions. The ATA currently has two National Tournament Directors and two Assistant National Tournament Directors .
￼National Directors of Tournaments (NTD) at this time are:
- Senior Master Richard Harman — 7th Degree Black Belt
- Senior Master Izel Rivera — 7th Degree Black Belt
Assistant National Tournament Directors:
- Senior Master David Kowkabany - 7th Degree Black Belt
- Master Kelly Harman - 6th Degree Black Belt
- European: Mr. Antonio Monteiro – 4th Degree Black Belt
- STF: Mr. Rodolpho Cavenatti -5th Degree Black Belt
Regional Tournament Team Leader
The Regional Tournament Team Leader (RTTL) for each region is appointed by the Grand Master in consultation with the International Chairman of Tournaments. This volunteer leadership position is based upon the International Chairman's experience with the individual, the person's willingness to volunteer, plus the recommendation of the seniors of the region.
The duties of this position vary according to the region in which they are involved. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Approving the tournament sanction documents for his/her region.
- Verifying that tournament sites are adequate for a regional event.
- Planning and approving the competition schedule for regional tournaments.
- Organizing and running the regional tournaments including arbitration issues that may arise.
- Administering judging certification clinics and tests.
- The RTTL will send the original result sheets, packets (competitor slips & ATA strong coin sheets) and tournament staff sheet to ATA Headquarters within seven business days of the event at the tournament host's expense.
- The RTTL will keep the copy of the result sheets for at least two years in case of association research needs.
- The RTTL will email data files within two business days of the tournament.
One should check with one’s Instructor as to the name of the Regional Tournament Team Leader for your region.
Assistant Regional Tournament Team Leader
Many regions have elected to ask for volunteers to serve as Assistant Regional Tournament Team Leaders or as part of the Regional Tournament Volunteer Staff. Two main reasons for this are:
- The enormous responsibility of running regional tournaments.
- To provide a training ground for future volunteer Regional Tournament Team Leaders.
Assistant Regional Tournament Team Leaders are selected by the Grand Master in consultation with the International Chairman of Tournaments based upon the chairperson's experience with the individual, the person's willingness to volunteer, plus the recommendation of the seniors of the region. The responsibilities of these assistants are assigned by Regional Tournament Team Leader. One should check with one’s Instructor as to the name of the Assistant Regional Tournament Team Leader and the Regional Tournament Volunteer Staff members for your region.
The position of Tournament Arbitrator is a temporary volunteer assignment during an individual tournament. It is not a permanent volunteer position. The International Chairman of Tournaments or the Regional Tournament Team Leader is in charge of supervising the event and the arbitrators are under their guidance. During National or World Tournaments, the International Chairman of Tournaments, the National Tournament Director, and/or the Assistant National Tournament Directors will perform the duties of arbitrator.
￼An arbitrator is responsible for:
- Supervising assigned rings and for enforcement of tournament rules.
- He/she will make on-the-spot corrections and will assist in resolving problems in a diplomatic and respectful manner.
- If necessary, he/she may suggest to the RTTL to replace a judge for appropriate cause.
Tournament Secretary / ATA Records
The tournament secretary is appointed by the RTTL and approved by the International Chairman of Tournaments. This person(s) volunteers to staff the control table at all times until all results and all entry cards have been returned from all the rings. The secretary should have a check-out system to be certain that all results have been returned. If results are missing, tournament officials shall assume that the fault is that of the center judge rather than the secretary.